Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY Pencil Case with Sound Effects POW!

Since my school is starting up in the matter of a few days I've been hunkering down to do projects that have been on my "to do" list all summer long. A new pencil case to replace my falling apart one is the latest crafty thing I've finished. I promise new drawing posts are soon to come!


In one of the those sleepless nights on the internet I discovered this tutorial for a pencil case. And then the next day, by pure accident I stumbled across this awesome fabric. Comic book sound effects!!! I had to stalk a lady who had the bolt in her cart to get the fabric. She was nice enough to let me borrow the bolt so I could get the foot of fabric required.



I pretty much followed the tutorial from Sew Mama Sew (same link as above). Except she makes her own piping and I opted for store bought. Also I added a pocket. Here's all my pieces cut out and ready to go. I used some duck cloth I had sitting around for the inside. This is a great scrap busting project as you need less that a square foot for each rectangle and the circles are only 4''. Plus you need a 7'' zipper and piping.


Ok so I said I added a pocket. I basically cut out a rectangle; lined the edges with bias tape; folded up the pocket; leaving more space on the top for seam allowance. 


Then after I sewed all the lining together I stitched the pocket into the top inside of the lining. But you need to insure that the pocket is low enough so that it will not interfere with the zipper


In this pocket I am going to keep my kneaded eraser so that it won't get too dirty from all the pencils and such.  Also hopefully it won't end up at the bottom of my pencil case every time I need it. And hopefully as the pocket is so close to the zipper, the eraser won't fall out. Lotta hopefully-s...


ZAP, ZOOM, POW!


No comments:

Post a Comment