Sunday, September 9, 2012

Make Pants Look Good Shorter!

The majority of the time I love being my 5'2 stature. But not when it comes to pants.

Most pants are like this one, are loads too long! That folded up cuff is only the sizable measurement of 5 inches. 

 And I can be quite particular about my pants. I hate folding up the ends. I hate too long pants that I trip over. And  I hate hemming the pants at home because it always looks home done. It never quite has the professional look of the original hem. Then I found this tutorial from the lovely lady at Cotton and Curls. You keep the original hem; you sew it higher up on the pant leg. See it looks like a pro shortened it. I might shorten these even more later but as I mostly use these skinnies to stuff into boots, why bother?



Here's different kind of jeans that are frustrating! It says a 27 SH. SH = short. This folded up cuff is 3-4 inches. Guess Jeans apparently thinks short people are 5'5 or 5'6! But I was silly because I was the one to buy these jeans. And they sat unworn in my drawer for years. No longer! As I have made them a real 27 SH.



One parting tip. Measure the height you want your hem to raise after you've walked around in your jeans for a bit. They will inevitably slouch down a bit. The first time I followed this tutorial I didn't do that and that pair of jeans (not pictured in this post) is fraying at the back hems. If this fraying issue doesn't bother you, pay no mind to my little tip. 

1 comment: