Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Organize them Threads (DIY)

I was getting tired of all my spools of thread falling out of my sewing box. And I was getting tired of losing the bobbins that went with said spools. So I wanted a thread organizer.
This one on the interwebs was round $30. And it looks flimsy.

I've also seen ones at Jo-Anns for more. But I wanted something under $10. So I went on over to Michaels and got a finished board measuring 11"x 14"and a bunch of dowels at 3/16". Board was marked down to $6 (with a coupon!) and I ended up getting 6 dowels at 49 cents a pop. The rest was all elbow grease.


Supplies: wooden base, dowels, a drill & a saw

Drill, Baby Drill!

Drilled, Baby Drilled!
I spaced out the holes to be anywhere from 1'' to 1.75" from each other. And cut/sawed my dowels down to 2.5" to 3.5". Keep in mind about half an inch of the dowel will go into the wood base. Because I used a 3/16" drill bit with 3/16" dowels the dowels are pretty securely wedged into their holes. Some required a little tapping to get them down to the bottom of the hole. When I measured the length the dowels would have to be I took into consideration that I wanted my bobbins to rest on top of my spools, to keep them organized. I managed to get 55 pegs.

See, bobbins & threads together

All DIY projects have to pass the Dog Inspection

Oops it's all filled up already! All 55 of 'em!
So there you have it a thread organizer for under $10.

1 comment: