Tuesday, July 24, 2012

DIY: A Rectangle into a Swimsuit Cover Up


I was inspired by the DIY swimsuit cover up projects these two lovely bloggers did. http://glitternglue.com/2012/07/17/diy-swimsuit-wrap/  and  http://laviediy.blogspot.com/2012/02/diy-20-minute-beach-cover-up.html .
So I decided to make my own. In essence the project requires a bit over a yard of very drape-able cloth (There is probably a technical term for that). And you attach straps. And you cut some fabric off. Done.   Super easy. 
I'm not going to write a whole new tutorial. But I will sum up what I did. 
So I kinda followed both tutorials. I didn't cut a 'C' into the corners like the lady at La Vie En Rose did. And didn't want to mess with grommets and fragile fabric so I braided the straps like the lady at La Vie En Rose did. Although I didn't knot my ends. Here's what I did: got a 4.5'' strip that was about a yard long (way too long of a measurement 18''-20'' would probably work better). And I cut this into 3 strips lengthwise, BUT I didn't cut all the way down, I left one end with about an inch where the strips were still joined. As for the other end I just sewed it closed when I sewed it on to the rectangle.



Not quite sure how much fabric I used for the big rectangle. Kinda just wrapped it around and cut off the excess. Click on either of the links for actual measurements.  If you find that the back is sagging too low (mid bum level), you have too much fabric. Tighten up the distance between your straps and the back should go up. I did angle the cut on the bottom corners. It looks prettier that way.






Picked up the fabric (soft cotton knit) for $2.11.

Not bad considering the one at Victoria's Secret is the same design and selling for $40. Follow the link, see for yourself. Then go buy fabric and make your own....

http://www.victoriassecret.com/


1 comment: